Tuesday, September 16, 2008

CARING REALLY IS CURING

YOUR PATIENTS DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH YOU KNOW, WHEN THEY KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE
The quote above was stated in class today by my teacher. She wanted each of us to go around the room and explain what we thought about the quote and wanted to know if we thought there was any truth to the age old question, is caring really curing? I feel so strongly about this topic that I just had to share some of my thoughts...
A little over a year ago (when I was very green in nursing) I explained to a good friend of mine (who is a very intelligent heathcare provider) that I really did believe that "caring was curing" and that I always wanted to be able to express to my patients how much I really care about my job and what I am doing. My seasoned friend then laughed at me and said, "I don't care what you think, that cuddly feeling that you have will soon wear off, and before you know it you will just be going through the motions. You will have no time to give a crap about your patients." I welcomed his seasoned thoughts, and really, really hoped that what he was telling me would not be true, Maybe I would be different, maybe I would still love my job and my patients for years to come??
Today when my teacher asked this question I just sat there and smiled. It is true!! "CARING IS CURING" and any nurse who does not have time to hold their patients hand while their hurting or say a prayer with them before they go to surgery or needs to find a new job!! I love my patients, I love what I do, and I love being a "caring" individual!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

By what you just said proves you were meant for that profession. You were made for it because of what you are made of. I'm so hapy to know you :)

Jess said...

so true! i feel the same! you're such a good lil nurse!!